2018 Board of Directors Elections
Sister Cities International’s Board of Directors is elected by its voting members—local sister city organizations. The election includes both electronic voting from June 18-August 3, 2018 as well as in-person voting at the Annual Business Meeting on August 3rd, held during Sister Cities International’s Annual Conference in Aurora, Colorado. More information on the election as well as service on the Board of Directors can be found in the FAQ at the end of this application.
Ten (10) at-large Board positions as well as the Young Professional position will be filled by election. Seven (7) of the positions are for full three year terms (2018-2021) and the remaining three (3) positions will be for two-year terms (2018-2020). After the 2017 election three spots were unfilled, and Directors were appointed by the Board Chair for the 2017-18 term, as per SCI’s bylaws. The three, two-year positions will be completing these terms, and will be filled by the 8th, 9th, and 10th place candidates in the election. Likewise, the Young Professional position (Under 35 years old) was not elected last year, and so the Young Professional winner will serve for one year, completing the normal two-year term for the position.
Candidates seeking these positions must agree to all requirements listed in this application, including attendance at the Annual Conference and Business Meeting August 2-4, 2018 in Aurora, CO. If elected, you must attend the three leadership meetings and commit to an annual Global Leadership Circle donation of $2,500 for each year served as a director. Candidates must register for the Annual Conference prior to their candidacy being announced, although they may wait until the Elections Committee of the Board of Directors has certified their candidacy on May 18, 2018.
CLICK HERE to download the application form.
It is the policy of Sister Cities International Board of Directors that each candidate applying for the above positions, including current directors running for second terms, must submit their application materials and all supplemental information by 12:00pm EDT on Friday, May 11 to Adam Kaplan at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications received after this date will not be considered. The application materials to be submitted include:
- The application form, to be completed, signed, scanned or attached, and submitted as a PDF or .jpeg.
- Three narrative answers to questions below, to be submitted in Word format. All narrative answers will be reproduced in the candidate’s profile on Sister Cities International’s website and other election materials provided to voting members. Please take note of all word count requests throughout the application. If an applicant exceeds the desired word count, Sister Cities International may edit your response to meet the requirements.
- Headshot/Photograph for use on election materials and ballot, submitted as .jpeg/.png.
- Letter of support from an elected official or representative of local sister city program (Board Chair/President/Committee Head), submitted as .jpeg/.png/PDF (max size, 1MB). If you have questions about a recommender’s eligibility please contact Adam Kaplan at email@example.com.
All candidates will receive electronic confirmation of their applications within two days of receipt. If you do not receive confirmation within two days, please contact Adam Kaplan at 202-347-8634.
Please submit answers to the following in Word format with your application materials:
- A brief biographical description, including relevant experience in your sister city program or other organizations (up to 250 words).
- A statement of why you want to run for the Board of Directors (up to 200 words).
- The major skills and assets that you will bring to the board (up to 75 words).