Employment and Volunteer Opportunities
A major role of Sister Cities International (SCI), as a membership association, is to promote and engage our network through an annual conference and other events. The Conference and Event Coordinator will be instrumental in arranging and supporting Sister Cities International conferences and events by working with vendors, colleagues, sponsors and members of the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This position reports to the Director of Development
Annual Conference and Events
- Manage communication with registrants, speakers/panelists and host committee to provide the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding conference details; Conduct regular conference calls with assigned leadership as needed
- Work with staff, Board, and host city to recruit speakers and panelists as needed for the annual conference; manage recruitment process by creating weekly status reports for all conference and events.
- Manage all logistics of the annual conference with vendors and service providers
- Develop and manage conference, staff assignment, and panelist schedule to track conflicts and provide optimal organization
- Conduct staff briefings and review daily assignments at least once a day at annual conference
- Work with Finance Department and insure that registration fees are reconciled and vendor invoices are correct
- Work with Communications Manager on marketing and promotion of conference, as well as communications materials such as the program guide and sponsor materials.
- Work with local host committees to ensure local members have information necessary for their role in the planning process for the conferences and meetings
- Create a detailed calendar and timeline of all deadlines, deliverables, and activities related to all logistical aspects of conference
- Research all vendors and service providers prior to entering contract negotiations to ensure the best economic positioning for SCI and its members
- Produce, distribute, and promote conference evaluation survey
- Assist Development Department in management of logistics related to smaller fundraising events
- Additional tasks as assigned
- CMP (Certified Meeting Professional) credential is preferred, but not required.
- Proven success in coordinating and managing event logistics for membership organization
- Experience in collaborating with finance and program teams in the preparation of budgets
- Detail oriented individual with exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively, accept responsibility, and motivate colleagues, members, volunteers and donors
- Ability to plan, prioritize and coordinate multiple projects
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of two years’ work experience in conference and event planning
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with their first and last name and the name of the position in the subject line. Please submit all materials in PDF format.
The Communications/Marketing intern will assist the Communications Manager on various communications projects and become an integral part of the Sister Cities International team.
Duties include member and media research, blog writing, editing, public relations, social media, email marketing, press pitching, embassy outreach, and website management. Applicants should have an academic background or previous experience in communications, marketing, social media public relations, research, writing, and/or international affairs/diplomacy.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist with strategy and implementation of Sister Cities International's communications campaigns.
- Plan, create, and post regular written, visual, and video content for organization's social media channels.
- Archive and categorize media articles daily and gather news clips for weekly circulation.
- Write and edit content for newsletters, blog, social media, and other digital outreach.
- Log, edit, write, and publish "Member Stories" every week.
- Support Communications Manager with event-related tasks such as marketing, material creation, and event registration.
- Research media outlets, create press lists, and draft press releases and media advisories.
- Spearhead outreach efforts to press and partner organizations.
- Upload content to the Sister Cities International website.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate student. Recent graduates will also be considered.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong ability to shift writing voice for organization without straying from brand.
- Previous internship experience in writing, research, media, marketing and/or social media preferred.
- Ability to conduct quality research and effectively report on findings.
- Strong attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and desire to take initiative on assigned projects.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign preferred.
- Experience with video editing preferred.
- Experience in customer service a plus.
- Intern will network and establish professional contacts by attending events and client meetings.
- Intern will learn how to track media by using media tracking programs.
- Intern will create engaging copy with the aim of increasing awareness of SCI and its mission by creating media campaigns with the Communications Manager.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with their first and last name and the name of the internship in the subject line (ex: John Doe Communications). Weekly schedule as well as start/end dates are flexible. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
Sister Cities International runs three major youth programs which include the J-1 High School Homestay Exchange (HSHS), the Young Artists and Authors Showcase (YAAS), and the Youth Leadership Summit (YLS).
The Winter/Spring Youth Programs Intern reports to the Membership Manager for Youth Programs and works on aspects of all 3 of these programs including resource development, research and marketing. S/He will assist the Membership Manager for Youth Programs in developing content for the Youth Leadership Summit in July, with managing applications and answering questions from members regarding the High School Homestay program for the 2018/2019 school year and in organizing the YAAS submissions and judging.
Essential Job Functions
- Prepare handouts and other materials for the three youth programs
- Assist with preparations and programming for the Youth Leadership Summit and Young Artists and Authors Showcase
- Manage various member inquiries regarding the organization's youth programs
- Research youth programs at the local level for best practice guidance
- File and organize applications for the HSHS and YAAS
- Other administrative tasks as directed
- A special project may be developed based on the interests of the intern
- Currently enrolled, full/part time student in an undergraduate program
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Customer service experience
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills and fluency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to multi-task
- Close attention to detail is required
To apply, interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with their first and last name and the name of the internship in the subject line (ex: John Doe Youth). Weekly schedule as well as start/end dates are flexible. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Finance Intern will work mainly with the Revenue Manager to monitor and manage day-to-day Finance, Human Resources, and Administrative activities.
Essential Job Functions
- Coding and entering accounts payable transactions.
- Interacting with vendors and customers as needed.
- Processing payments and receipts.
- Banking, filing, other tasks as assigned.
- General administrative tasks.
Requirements & Skills
- Accounting, Finance or Business major/minor.
- Outstanding communications skills both written and oral.
- Successful completion of Accounting I or equivalent work experience.
- Proficient computer and Internet skills, Excel and Word a plus, Abila accounting software ideal.
- Responsive in dealing with inquiries and requests and an ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to stay calm under pressure.
- Availability to work 20 hours per week.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Spring 2018 Finance Internship” in the subject line.
Sister Cities International is seeking a part-time (20 hours/week) intern to assist the Membership Manager, Youth Programs in administering a grant from the Stevens Initiative funding virtual exchange for youth in the United States and the Palestinian Territories.
The grant involves several SCI members to execute 2 distinct projects for youth that are Deaf/Hard of Hearing and youth needing special education. The selected intern will help in a variety of projects focused on grant management and administration. Candidates must be organized individuals with a professional demeanor who can multitask and meet deadlines.
- Execute research projects in a thorough, diligent, and timely manner as directed by the program manager.
- Assist in designing and distributing surveys, interviews, and data collection.
- Attend relevant seminars and meetings in Washington, DC.
- Basic administrative and office work, including photocopying, data entry, filing expense reports, preparing invoices, and answering phone calls.
- Assist in preparing deliverables related to the grant including communications and reports.
- Arranging meetings and taking minutes as necessary
- Communicate with SCI sub-awardees regarding grant management and compliance
- Assist with other office work as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills, Abilities & Experience:
- Current graduate student preferred
- Previous work experience required
- Knowledge of various RFP processes, grant management processes, and proposal development and writing preferred
- Must be able to work independently and meet deadlines
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Ability to conduct quality research and effectively report on findings
- Ability to multi-task and pay close attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (especially Excel)
Interested individuals should submit a resume, and cover letter to email@example.com. Application review will begin immediately on a rolling basis. No calls please. EOE.
The intern will work directly with the Director of Development and Revenue Manager and assist with all logistics related to planning the 62nd Annual Conference (August 2018). Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- helping organize speakers for workshops,
- answering inquiries from conference registrants,
- monitoring and reporting status of conference registrations through online registration site CVENT,
- tracking hotel housing reports,
- researching potential vendors and facilities
- conducting follow-up emails and phone calls to VIP attendees
The intern will have the opportunity to interact with hotels, vendors, and event participants. This intern will also work closely with our Development and Communications Department regarding various PR and marketing matters. We are looking for an organized individual with a professional demeanor who can multitask and meet deadlines. Strong attention to detail, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work independently and in a team are necessary.
- Resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the position
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate/graduate program
- MUST be competent in all aspects of Microsoft Office software; mail merging capabilities is plus
- Strong customer service skills – you will be interfacing on the phone and via email with our members and elected officials
- Basic graphic design skills preferred
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with their first and last name and the name of the internship in the subject line (ex: John Doe Conference). Weekly schedule as well as start/end dates are flexible. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
Become a State Representative
We are seeking dynamic and dedicated individuals to serve as State Representatives. Current vacancies can be found here. If you are interested in applying please review the State Representative Job Description and Application. Contact email@example.com for further information.