- This event has passed.
Tour: Explore the Silk Road with Sister Cities International
August 22 @ 12:00 pm - September 7 @ 12:00 pm
Journey to Uzbekistan: August 22, 2019 – September 2, 2019
Tour to Kyrgyzstan: September 2, 2019 – September 7, 2019
Explore the Silk Road with Sister Cities International to trace the past and present of Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan. A new Uzbek president has ushered in a new era of modernization and development. Meet with city officials to learn about sweeping changes. Visit the fabled UNESCO-listed oases of Uzbekistan’s Khiva, Samarkand, and Bukhara (Santa Fe’s Sister City), and the capital, Tashkent (Seattle’s Sister City). Savor the incredible sky-blue tile work, woven brick construction, brilliant fabrics of the Silk Road and warm hospitality of Central Asia.
An optional 6 day post-tour will take you to Colorado Spring’s Sister City; Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; to see one of the country’s last remaining Silk Road watchtowers, learn about the art of Kyrgyz felt-making, and see a performance of a favorite Kyrgyz folk tale: the Epic of Manas.
To sign up for the tour, a $750 per person, non-refundable deposit secures your space. Final payment is due by 23 June 2019.
Visit a sixth-generation Uzbek ceramicist whose Tashkent family has been making pottery since the 1790s. Explore the Savitsky Museum (a remote outpost housing banned avant-garde Russian art). See the backstreets and bazaars of UNESCO cities Khiva, Bukhara, and Samarkand. Meet with mayors and other officials of Tashkent, Bukhara, and Khiva. This trip is a once in a lifetime opportunity to discover the former center of the Silk Road with like-minded citizen diplomats!
Want to see the day-by-day travel itinerary?
Sign up below to get the full travel itinerary as well as special details about the tour.
$2,990 per person (double occupancy)
$295 – Single room supplement for Uzbekistan tour
$2180 – Cost for optional Kyrgyzstan post-tour, double occupancy
$295– Single room supplement for Kyrgyzstan post-tour
- Included Costs
(does not include travel insurance, roundtrip airfare to and from your home city, passport and visa fees, personal items, and the single room supplement.)
- All hotel accomodations
- Included meals per itinerary; gratuities to restaurant staff and baggage handlers
- Group arrival/departure transfers
- All in-country air and land transportation per itinerary
- Cultural events and sightseeing entrance fees
- Welcome and farewell dinners
- Uzbek tour manager throughout program
- Comprehensive pre-departure packet
- Cancellation PolicyIf notice is received 61 or more days prior to departure, the penalty is your $750 non-refundable deposit; by 60-46 days prior to departure, 50% of the land tour; 45 days or less prior to departure, 100% of the land tour. Air policies vary by carrier.