Young Artists and Authors Showcase
The Young Artists and Authors Showcase (YAAS) is an annual contest that encourages youth from around the globe to express the mission of Sister Cities International through original artwork, literature, film, and photography. Submissions are centered around an annual theme and judged based on originality, composition, and theme interpretation. Selected Grand Prize Winners in each category (art, literature, film, and photography) win a $1000 prize. After the finalists for art, literature, film, and photography have been announced, their works embark on a yearlong tour hosted by local sister city programs on a monthly basis.
Participation in the Young Artists and Authors Showcase is open to any sister city program and can help expand local youth programming. The showcase is a great opportunity to engage your community’s students, English teachers, and art teachers that may not already be included in sister city programming.
The Art of Diplomacy
This year’s theme, “The Art of Diplomacy” highlights the importance of citizen diplomacy and the innovative ways citizen diplomats achieve peace through people-to-people interaction. Students are encouraged to draw inspiration from their experiences with sister cities, travel, exchange, international friendships, and the many ways that people cultivate relationships across cultures.
The deadline to submit entries to Sister Cities International is May 1, 2018.
- #YAAS2018 Marketing FlyerTo download a PDF of this year’s YAAS flyer, please click here.
- EligibilityClick here to see eligibility and specifications for each category.
- Entry Forms and Guidelines
- Submit a Film EntrySubmit your film entry directly to our partner Cinequest to be considered in this category for the Young Artists and Authors Showcase.
Access code: sistercities
- Tour ScheduleVisit our tour schedule to see where the #YAAS2017 winning pieces are this month.
- Cinequest PartnershipSister Cities International partners with Cinequest for the film portion of the Young Artists and Authors Showcase. Voted “Best Film Festival” by USA Today Readers, Cinequest fuses creativity with technological innovation to empower youth and emerging artists.
- Previous EntriesVisit our Tumblr page to see all past YAAS Submissions.
- 2017 WinnersSee the #YAAS2017 winners here.